Discover some of the most symbolic sites in the history of Christianity. Explore the Roman Catacombs and two of the most important Basilicas in the world on this tour of the Eternal City.
After being picked up from your hotel in Rome's historic centre, you'll head to the Basilica of St. John in Lateran. This church is one of the four papal major basilicas in Rome. These are the highest-ranking Roman Catholic church buildings, and they all possess a Holy Door and a High Altar at which only the Pope can celebrate Mass.
You'll then visit the nearby Scala Sancta, or Holy Stairs. Learn why these sacred marble steps are one of the main pilgrimage sites in Rome, visited by thousands of devout believers each year.
The next stop on your tour will be another of the major basilicas, St. Mary Major. Enjoy the magnificent artwork inside the building, especially its elaborate frescoes, and don't miss the famous icon of the Virgin Mary, now enshrined in the basilica's Borghese Chapel, which according to legend protected the city from the Plague.
Having explored the basilicas, you'll make your way to the historic Appian Way. On this iconic ancient road, symbolic of the Italian capital, you'll visit the Catacombs of Rome. These subterranean passageways were used as cemeteries and hiding places by early Christians, at a time when they were persecuted by the authorities of the Roman Empire.
The tour ends near the Piazza della Repubblica.
Hotel pick up and meeting point
This tour includes a pick up service from centrally-located hotels. The bus usually takes around one hour to pick up all of the passengers, subject to traffic conditions and the number of passengers booked onto the tour. For this reason, pick up times will start from 1:30pm (1pm from 1st November to 31st March) and will continue thereafter in order to be on time for the beginning of the tour.
- In Rome, especially in places of worship, it is strictly forbidden to bring strollers, bulky bags or umbrellas, or to wear low-cut clothing. Shoulders should also be covered.
- If the Catacombs of San Callisto are closed, the tour will instead visit the Catacombs of Santa Domitilla.
- This tour does not run on religious holidays.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 13 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- The capacity of all means of transport will be reduced to 40% of their maximum capacity.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 30% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 3 and 7 years old|
Children between 3 and 7 years oldUS$ 63.30
The activity takes place with a guide that simultaneously speaks in English and other languages.
Pick up from hotel (only accommodation located in central Rome).
Transfers by bus or minivan.
English speaking guide with expert knowledge of Christian history in the catacombs of Rome.
Entry to the Rome Catacombs.
English speaking escort during the rest of the tour.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
Bookings are permitted up until 14 hours before the activity as long as there are still places.
We will send you a voucher that you can show on your phone to take part in the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).