Set off on a day trip from Rome across the Italian countryside to discover the birthplace of St Francis in the charming town of Assisi. Then visit the quaint hill-town Orvieto and its Cathedral, a Gothic-styled masterpiece.
If you’ve chosen to stay in one of Rome’s centrally-located hotels, the tour driver will come and collect you bright and early in an air-conditioned coach. Sit back, relax and enjoy the picturesque landscape of Italy’s countryside as you drive down the Tiber Valley to the Umbria region.
The first stop will be Orvieto, a small hill-top town populated since the Etruscan times with a magnificent fourteenth century Cathedral (entrance not included). It is considered one of the best examples of Italian Gothic-styled architecture. Follow your expert guide through the narrow streets of the little town and step inside the church and discover its history.
Hop back on the coach and be led through the green hills of Tuscany, covered by olive trees and vineyards. The region’s great wines are born here: Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino and Nobile di Montepulciano.
Next, the coach will head to Assisi, bordering the shores of Lake Trasimeno. Upon arrival, you’ll take a guided tour around the historic center and discover the town’s history and lesser-known stories.
You’ll visit the Convent of Santa Chiara, where St Francis was born followed by the house where Italy’s patron saint lived during the first years of his life. The guide will then lead you to the Piazza del Comune, Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, the town hall and the Roman Temple of Minerva. The last sight is the most memorable; with a half hour tour of the breath-taking Basilica di San Francesco and its collection of frescos painted between the twelfth and fourteenth centuries.
The coach will stop at Santa Maria degli Angeli Church in Assisi. It houses the Porziuncola chapel, where St Francis died in 1226. It used to be one of the most important pilgrimage sites in Italy during the Middle Ages.
After the guided tour, step back on the coach and head back to Rome. You’ll get in the city center at 7:45pm. If you prefer, the coach can drop you off near your hotel.
Pick up option
The day trip includes hotel pick-up in central Rome. If you’re staying in an apartment or a Bed&Breakfast, the meeting point is in front of the Mediterraneo Hotel (Via Cavour, 15) near Termini Metro Station.
Important information: guide
The panoramic tour of Orvieto includes an escort who will not enter into the Basilica. During the guided tour of Assisi, you'll be accompanied at all times by an official English-speaking guide.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- The use of masks is obligatory. Masks will be given to those clients who do not have their own.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those taking running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children 4-12 years old||Children less than 4 years old|
|English-Speaking Guided Day Trip||
English-Speaking Guided Day Trip
Children 4-12 years oldUS$ 92.30
Children less than 4 years oldFree
The tour includes an English speaking guide, but the tour can sometimes be carried out in two languages.
Hotel pick up (centrally located hotels).
Return transportation by air conditioned coach.
Expert English speaking guide.
Entry to the landmarks included in the day trip.
Entrance to Orvieto Basilica (4 euros per person).
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
You can book up until the previous day (4:00 PM local time) if there are still places available.
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 4 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.